Monday, May 20, 2013

FIXING - corduroy seam

These pants got to me just in time! They were starting to have a hole/tear but they hadn't really broken yet. This was so so so much easier than trying to fix a hole that had warped the fabric and the middle had frayed away.

My friends grandma used to do the mending, but grandma doesn't live here in the cities, so I am taking on the role of grandma for all mending needs. I like that. It is pretty much what I do for other people already.


I decided to use some thicker heavy duty polyester to reinforce the fabric. I narrowed my thread choices down to two, I chose the lighter one on the right. (thank you again Grandma and Grandpa for all my awesome crafting/mending supplies).


I positioned the polyester under the stressed seam and sewed many parallel lines along the stressed seam... then I followed the wale of the corduroy for a few seams (going over the original stressed seam). The thread is kind of shine-y, especially with my camera flash, but done it is hardly noticeable.


Here is the inside. I don't usually use pins for patches, so using a large piece of material is crucial. I thought it was centered, NOPE! But that was fine.


Here is the inside after trimming.


AND here is the outside post mending.

No comments:

Post a Comment